Sunday, March 6, 2016

Big, Interesting World

Recently I was going through our travel files and was reminded of my life-long interest in places throughout the world. Mom and Dad did quite a bit to make us aware of the big, interesting world outside our small hometown. The New York Times came every day, along with the Columbus newspaper (Did we get both the morning and evening papers?). A great variety of magazines came into our home. I remember The New Yorker, Life, American Heritage, Scientific American, Boys' Life, Time. I especially liked National Geographic and the wonderful big, foldout maps that often came with it. I'm sure there were other magazines that I'm forgetting. 

At some point Mom or Dad pointed out to me that I could write for travel brochures that were advertised in various magazines. I remember sending off postcards and eagerly awaiting pictures and information about far away places. In the basement of our childhood home there was a huge world map on the wall by the chalkboard. 

I don't remember many trips as a family. I think time and money were factors. And I always had the idea that Mom didn't relish traveling with four children (in the days before air conditioned cars). Mom and Dad traveled more after they became empty nesters. After each trip they had stories and pictures to share. Dad usually made a scrapbook for each trip. Grandpa and Grandma traveled quite a bit - often to visit David, Dorothy, and family at their Foreign Service posts all over the world. Grandpa and Grandma also had a large floor globe in the living room at First Street.  I remember spinning it and trying to identify various places. 

I've been fortunate to do a fair amount of traveling - and hope to do more in the future. It's a big, interesting world out there. 
*****************

photo - November 1954 - read about the photo here


No comments:

Post a Comment