Sunday, January 11, 2015

Mom, Cookies & Rolling Pins

Mom gave me the top wood rolling pin decades ago, probably when John and I were married. I think it was old and used even back then - an heirloom! The rolling pin in the front is a Springerle rolling pin. Mom used it to make cookies at Christmas. I remember these cookies drying on cookie sheets and having a anise flavor. Click here for information about the cookies. 
Mom also made Spritz cookies every Christmas. She decorated them with sprinkles and bits of cherries. Using a cookie press like this, she made wreaths, Christmas trees, snow people and other shapes. Back in December 1999, I attached a note to the recipe, "Mom likes these 'burned' very dark brown." I agree with Mom. See the dark brown cookies? The butter flavor comes through when they are baked this long - delicious!
November 1972

No comments:

Post a Comment