Monday, January 26, 2015

A Beautiful Blossom - With A Message


There's a line of these evergreen shrubs along the fence on the property next to us. 
These shrubs and their gentle pink blossoms hold a lot of meaning for me. They caught my eye from the day we moved to Kirkland. 

This year they have been blooming all January. I took this picture the same day our friends and family in the Midwest and East Coast were experiencing an "epic" winter storm. My thoughts went back to the first time I saw these beautiful flowers. 

It was March 2011 when we moved to Kirkland. It was overcast and drizzling. We were at the beginning an adventure with lots of unknowns. I watched all those boxes come off the moving van and make their way into the townhouse and wondered how in the word we were going to do this! Then I noticed the beautiful flowers; we didn't see anything like this in Ohio in March. Their beauty communicated hope and happiness to me. Pictures from that day - 
Every since then I always smile when I see them. 

Not long ago  I read "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery. There's a discussion of beauty and how something beautiful in the midst of great challenges can be enough to give a person hope to go on. One of the characters says the memory of beautiful camellias in a garden kept him going during a very dark time. I searched for camellia images because I wanted to remind myself what they looked like. My "hope and happiness" blossoms are camellias - I didn't know that's what they are!

And that's the story of my pink blossoms
on a January day in Kirkland
where the adventure continues with great hope and happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment