Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Like Joseph


Heather Farrell writes a wonderful blog about women in the scriptures. Around Christmas she indicated she had been thinking quite a bit about Joseph, the husband of Mary. She wrote: 

"It sometimes seems like Joseph gets swept aside in the story of the Nativity. Mary and Jesus are the main characters, and Joseph seems to have gotten the supporting role. Yet, as I have studied Mary this last year, and Jesus Christ's interactions with women, the more my appreciation for Joseph has grown. He exemplifies every good trait that you could want in a husband, a father, and in a man. I know so many good, good men who are a lot of like Joseph, but I also know that there are so many women in the world who suffer because of the bad choices of men. So as I've thought about Joseph I've found myself wishing that ALL men were like him and here is why."

If all men were like Joseph:
There would be mercy for women
Women would never be abandoned
Women’s bodies would be respected
All children would have fathers
Women and children would be protected
Families would be guided by the spirit
Marriages would be partnerships

Read her complete post hereFarrell's book "Walking With the Women of the New Testament" has recently been published. It's beautiful.

*******************

Reading the post brought Brian Kershisnik's painting to my mind.The first time I saw this depiction of the Nativity I was struck by Joseph. I imagine he's contemplating the enormity of what's happening and his stewardship for Mary and Jesus. 
I took this photo of the painting in a store in Salt Lake City. 

Click here to see a wonderful video of the artist fielding questions from children as he sits in front of his painting. He explains why he portrays Joseph this way. I don't know if you can see but Joseph has his hand to his face and the other hand on Mary's shoulder. Mary cradles Jesus with one arm and pats Joseph's hand with her other hand. The artist also talks about the midwives, the angels and the dog. 
*******************
I am thankful for these reminders about Joseph 
and the crucial role he played in the life of Jesus Christ.


top image from pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment