Saturday, August 20, 2016

Music

I drafted this post back in the summer of 2011. A granddaughter and I had gone to BeadWorld in downtown Kirkland and made necklaces. 

BeadWorld played music from the 1960s. I found myself singing and remembering the words to almost all the songs even though I hadn't heard many of them in more than 45 years. I mentioned to Granddaughter that 45 years from now she could be sitting with a granddaughter when a Justin Bieber (her favorite at the time) song comes on and she'll remember every word. Then I said that's a good reason to be very careful what you listen to because it stays with you forever. "That's Grandma talk," said Granddaughter as she smiled.

Back to 2016 - When Granddaughter said, "That's Grandma talk," it brought back a memory. Grandma (Florence Holton) and I were doing the dishes at Oak Street. The song was released in July 1962 so I was ready to go into 10th grade. I was singing "Strangers by Day, Lovers by Night." Grandma very quietly and gently suggested that I might not want to sing that song. I asked why. She didn't say why. I didn't have a clue about the meaning of the song (as she was interpreting the words I was singing). Click on the picture to hear the song by the Fleetwoods

Back to summer 2011 - Lauren, Joe, and I talked about our favorite music. I wrote in my journal, "[Granddaughter] didn't know what to think about Grandpa's high school favorite, "Wild Goose." Click on the image to hear Frankie Laine sing this 1950 hit. Lyrics here
This summer two granddaughters were staying with us. Joe played "The Cry of the Wild Goose" for them. They didn't know what to think of it either. 

We often have music playing throughout the day. It's usually classical music during the day. Lately we've been listening to music from the 1960s, "Golden Oldies," as we wind down our day. We find it very soothing - and I still recall most of the words to most of the songs. In fact, I'm very surprised when I correctly guess the song after just a few opening notes. That music has stayed with me forever. 
****************

Click here for more about the Wild Goose song


No comments:

Post a Comment