Thursday, March 12, 2015

What's With The Feather?

 "What's with the feather?" asked the missionaries when they saw this on the table by our front door. The feather has been there for months - and will likely stay there many more months. 
Here's the story - 

When Joe was a junior in high school in 1950-51,  "The Cry of the Wild Goose," sung by Frankie Laine, became wildly popular. The song resonated with Joe and he's loved it ever since - something he didn't share with me until a few years ago. I wondered about his tendency to stash feathers around the house as well as wear one in his hat.  

My heart knows what the wild goose knows
And I must go where the wild goose goes
Wild goose, brother goose, which is best?
A wanderin' foot or a heart at rest?

Tonight I heard the wild goose cry
Wingin' his way through the lonely sky
Tried to sleep, but it warn't no use
'Cause I'm a brother to the old wild goose
.........
Spring is comin' and the ice will break
And I can't linger for a woman's sake
She'll see a shadow pass overhead
She'll find a feather beside my bed

Joe - junior year
Fort Wayne North Side High School, Fort Wayne, Indiana
*********
Click here for all the lyrics
If you didn't click it above, click here to hear Frankie Laine sing about the wild goose



No comments:

Post a Comment