Friday, January 8, 2016

Book - The Invention of Wings

How do you select books to read? I love to get recommendations from family and friends. Often I'll see an interesting book reviewed in The Week magazine. Sometimes an author on BookTV will influence me to read a book. When I go to the library, I look at the staff picks. I've even been known to pick up a book because the cover and/or title intrigued me. Last week at the library I noticed Sue Monk Kidd's book "The Invention of Wings." I'd enjoyed "The Secret Life of Bees," didn't like "The Mermaid Chair," and wondered if I'd like "The Invention of Wings." I did and I recommend it to you. 


*************

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd


"The story follows Hetty "Handful" Grimke, a Charleston slave, and Sarah, the daughter of the wealthy Grimke family. The novel begins on Sarah's eleventh birthday, when she is given ownership over Handful, who is to be her handmaid. "The Invention of Wings" follows the next thirty-five years of their lives. Inspired in part by the historical figure of Sarah Grimke (a feminist, suffragist and, importantly, an abolitionist), Kidd allows herself to go beyond the record to flesh out the inner lives of all the characters, both real and imagined"     from worldcat.org (review & image) - 

If you read this book, be sure to first review the author's notes in the back. The Grimke sisters are real people. They were some of the first feminists and abolitionists. 

 reviews here

typo corrected 5/24/16

No comments:

Post a Comment