Friday, July 24, 2015

Fritos & Creamery Memories

This small bag of Fritos brings back memories. Growing up we didn't have much spending money. I can't remember how much our allowances were but it wasn't much - a bag of Fritos and a small soda for a nickel each were a big deal!

The Creamery was down at the end of our block. They sold ice cream and had a soda fountain. We didn't go there often because there just wasn't money for treats. It was a MAJOR deal to stop after school and spend 10 cents for Fritos and a fountain soda. I remember how wonderful those Fritos tasted along with the sweet, syrupy Coke.

Mrs. Houser worked at the Creamery. Her husband Harry was a janitor at the high school.

The popular kids went to Meehan's after school. I didn't go very often - no money to spend and I didn't feel I was part of the popular crowd that went there.

Mr. Peard lived in the house across the street from us (Hunter's house). Mom said we were the only children on the block fortunate enough to receive nickels from him for ice cream cones from the Creamery. I remember when the price went to 10 cents and Mr. Peard upped his gift to us.

My youngest sister has other stories to tell about the Creamery. Much later in adulthood she revealed to her siblings that periodically Mom would take her to the Creamery for banana splits!!! I don't ever recall having a banana split as a child! That's the difference in the experiences of the first child and the fourth child :) 

From my sister (along with her OK to share this) - Maybe some of those banana splits happened when I had mono in high school and was home for so long! 


No comments:

Post a Comment