Thursday, June 18, 2015

Reflections On Sore Amazed & Watch & More

Not long ago I reread the scriptures about Christ’s suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane. I’ve read the account many times. Many thoughts came into my head and heart. 
*************
Sore Amazed

Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane - "and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy"

Sore amazed - translated from Greek words meaning amazed, awestruck, astonished.

Sometimes we get part way into a challenging situation and discover “oh my goodness, this is harder than I thought it was going to be! I know I have the love, the desire, strength, and so forth to handle it. I know the big plan, the eternal perspective. I know I am not alone, … but oh, my goodness, this is tough!” As I’ve experienced it, it’s not a depressing feeling; it’s more of a “Whoa!” feeling

My interpretation of “sore amazed,” based on how I read/felt the scripture that day – Jesus Christ knew what He needed to do. He knew He would have to suffer in the Garden of Gethsemane. He knew He would be crucified. He willingly agreed to suffer these events because He loves us and He agreed to carry out His Father's plan. But when it came time for the part of the Atonement that took place in the Garden of Gethsemane, He was “sore amazed,” “very heavy,” and “my soul is exceeding sorrowful.” He had a deeper, and more immediate, feeling about how difficult (and painful) this was going to be. 

He even asked Heavenly Father, three times, if there was another way to accomplish what needed to be done. There wasn’t. Haven’t we all been at that place, where we’ve prayed for “Possibly another way? Please?”

Most of the time there's no "easy" way out of a challenge. We just keep going. 
*************

Tarry ye here and watch with me

Another message in these verses is the importance of a support group when we’re going through difficult times. Jesus took Peter, James, and John with Him. He explained how He was feeling and asked them to “watch” and “tarry.” Three times He asked for their support, three times they fell asleep. “Couldest not thou watch one hour?” Christ asks this after finding them asleep again, after He has just experienced an agony that we cannot begin to comprehend.  His disciples couldn’t stay awake while He did this act of love. Every time I read this question I think about times I wasn’t there to support loved ones going through difficult times. How often have I “fallen sleep” while someone else suffered? Mark says “for their eyes were heavy.” We get physically and emotionally tired sometimes and can’t keep ourselves going even when we know we need to. Even when we want to. Christ is always there for us. Are we always there for Him – and for our loved ones? 
*Matthew 26:38– watch with me. The other gospels say “watch”
*************
Abba

"And he said, Abba, Father," - Abba is an Aramaic intimate name for father. I remember Dad telling me that when Jesus used this, He was saying "Daddy" to His Heavenly Father. I can still feel the tenderness in Dad's manner when he related this. 
*************
"Rise up, let us go"

When I read this I thought of Dad and his frequent use of "onward and upward." Get on with it. Christ has just been through agony and pain that we will never be able to understand. So much that, as Luke puts it, "his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground." Yet somehow He is able, willing, and ready to "rise up, let us go" knowing He is going to be betrayed and crucified. I imagine He's able to do this because He knows the Resurrection is also part of the plan. Glory follows the pain. That belief and sometimes knowledge of what awaits us, enables us to "rise up" and get going - plowing through the challenge before us. 
*************

    "And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray. And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy; And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.
    And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak. And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words.
    And when he returned, he found them asleep again, (for their eyes were heavy,) neither wist they what to answer him. And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
    Rise up, let us go; lo, he that betrayeth me is at hand. (Mark 14: 32-42)



No comments:

Post a Comment