Saturday, June 13, 2015

Communication

We’re at a point in our journey here on earth that we have much more earth time behind us than in front of us. 

Our current phase of life has some pretty big unknowns including how long we have left, health issues, where we’re going to live, and so forth. Each phase of life has its unknowns, these are some big ones we’re facing. 

None of this depresses us because we have a firm belief in eternal life. So the end of our time here on earth is a transition, an end of Act II and lead in to Act III – life after death. I would, however, welcome a bit more information so we could make informed choices. :) I’m a planner and an organizer. Patience, flexibility, and moving forward with faith are things I’ve had to learn – and relearn, and keep practicing. 

I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are aware of us individually. I know that the Holy Ghost can help us in our communication with them. I know we can receive direction and counsel as we face tough choices. I also know that the counsel comes in many different ways and the timing isn’t always the timing I wish for. 

I’ve thought quite a bit about communication with God and its many forms. Sometimes the answer to a question comes clearly, sometimes out of the blue, and I know exactly what I’m to do. I love that kind of communication. Other times I get little nudges here and there until one day I realize I’ve got tiny pieces that add up to an answer, to a direction I’m to take. 

David Bednar likens this to the difference between light that comes from turning on a light switch and light from night turning into morning. One brings light immediately and the other brings light so gradually it might take a while before you realize that it’s there.  This gradual discernment of light is expressed in a scripture verse that talks about doctrine that distills on our souls like “dews from heaven.” Distillation is a very gradual process. The other day I had been praying mightily about something and wanted a “writing on the wall” answer. In a quiet moment, that scripture came to me and I realized the answer had already “distilled” itself in my being and I just hadn’t recognized it. 

Sometimes the direction from God comes as a feeling, sometimes as a voice that’s felt more than heard. Sometimes the direction doesn’t come at all and we have to hang on to our faith and use what we’ve learned about the gospel of Jesus Christ to move forward – all the time being open to further light and knowledge that might come our way.

I am thankful for the ability to communicate with God. I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, the example He is and the path he shows us, the teachings He gives us. I am thankful for the Holy Ghost and all He does to help us in the communication with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment