Sunday, May 24, 2015

Journey

When I went back to Ohio in April, I found myself driving up and down High Street quite a bit. I thought about the hundreds, probably thousands, of times I’ve driven High Street between Worthington and downtown Columbus. I thought about the conversations I had with God as I journeyed back and forth to work on Glenmont Avenue in Clintonville – those were some intense, and often teary communications as I pondered and prayed.  What does it mean to be a daughter of God? What does God want me to do with my time here on earth?  How do I handle personal challenges? What do we do about family situations? When should we go on our mission? ….. Those were very intense times journeying up and down High Street over the years. As I traveled the route in April, some of those strong feelings came back to me.

During my April trip I spent a day with my best friend since second or third grade. I am thankful we’ve chosen to stay close throughout our journeys. Our conversations and friendship over the years have strengthened both of us. It’s precious to have that much history with a friend. 

Family  - getting together with three generations of family in Columbus is precious beyond description. I think it’s really four generations because I feel Mom’s and Dad’s pleasure that the family is close and enjoys getting together. DNA and marriage link us. Love and loyalty keep us together. The choice to share each other’s joys and sorrows results in blessings and relationships that are beyond measure. 

When I went to church while in Ohio, I was overwhelmed by intense feelings of love for my Worthington church family. Some of the people in the congregation have been with us from 1981, the very beginning of our discipleship journey. We’ve served together, learned together, grown together – cried, laughed and supported each other through good times and hard times. The quick hellos, hugs, and “how are yous” at church were nice. Even better were the longer visits I was able to have with a few of these good people. 

My life’s journey certainly didn’t turn out the way I thought it was going to. But then, how much do we know when we’re thinking about these things in our late teens and early 20s?! I started on one path. Divorce and remarriage were unanticipated reroutings. Discipleship and yoking myself with Jesus Christ added a depth and breadth to my life that was unanticipated and is totally awesome. I even got a transfer to Seattle – who would have thought I’d end up in the Pacific Northwest! 

The specifics and timing of our future are unknown. Part of me would like a lot more answers than I’m ever going to get. While we don’t know the exact route, the detours, the bumps in the road, we do know that the journey leads back to life with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We have the word of God to hang on to. We have communication with God, the example and teachings of Jesus Christ, and the Comforter, the Holy Ghost, to guide us.

Journeys are easier, and more fun, when you have companions. I am thankful for Joe, my eternal companion. I am thankful for family and friends who have chosen to accompany me and let me be part of their journeys. The adventure continues!







No comments:

Post a Comment