Friday, May 15, 2015

Flashback - Katie

Recently I visited a friend and was surprised when a big dog rushed out her apartment door when she opened it. I immediately corralled the dog and felt the years slip away. Before I even got a close look at the dog, I stated rather than asked, "This is a border collie, isn't it?" Somehow I knew. My friend just got 5 year old Morgan from a rescue shelter. As Morgan sat by me, it was very strange how strong the connection was - it was the feel of the dog, his behavior and who knows what else that took me back to my childhood.


Katie, our border collie - 1954



Katie was Jan's guardian - November 1951

Mom, Dad & Katie with Jan
When I saw posted this picture, I thought, "Boy, they look young." I did the math. Mom is 25 and Dad 28. Dad's looking at Jan and thinking "I'm 28 and have four children - how neat is that!"

Katie was very patient with us - Tom in 1951

This photo is dated November 1950. That's got to be Tom in the playpen 
and either Susan or Julia under Katie.
As I was assembling photos for this post, it occurred to me for the first time ever - did we name Katie after our Union Street neighbor Katie (Kathryn) Murtaugh? 1949 photo shows Julia, Susan & Katie in the raft/swimming pool at Union Street.

I remember Katie's eyes (1954)

Katie shared people, food & space with lots of animals (1954)

Katie helped with the numerous kittens we had at Oak Street

I have wonderful memories of special times in front of the fire with Katie - 1954

Katie had puppies - LOTS of them in April 1953

 Dad with Katie in March 1956 - Puppies April 1953

Katie, Tom, Julia, Jan & Susan
December 1955


More to the story - I have several memories of Katie's last days. We went on a trip and Katie stayed with friends. One day she ran out the door and into the street where she was hit by a car and killed. In my memory Katie died about the same time as my mother's mother, in April 1957. This timing is probably about right. We have pictures of our next dog dating from 1958. What did we name our new dog? Katie II!






No comments:

Post a Comment