Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Kindness - A Way of Life


"He came from a home where kindness was a way of life."* Oh, that we all could have such homes.

Dad made this plaque - printed the phrase and cut the wood - as a reminder of kindness. One plaque hung over the doorway from the kitchen into the dining room at Oak Street. He made signs for his four children and their homes. 

I don't think anyone starts out a day thinking "I'm going to be as unkind as I can." Most of us are pretty kind by nature and desire. However, I'm amazed at how much kinder I can be if I consciously focus on being a little bit kinder each day. 

By nature I don't interact easily with people I don't know (unless there's a chance to discuss a few favorite topics that I'll discuss with anyone anywhere :)) Recently at the RootsTech conference in Salt Lake City I decided to be extra vigilant about being kind by smiling more and interacting more with those around me. There were 20,000+ fellow family history enthusiasts in attendance and almost 200 vendors in the exhibit hall. From my time doing state conferences back when I was working, I know how lonely and exhausting this can be for the exhibitors. The days are long and sometimes not many people talk with you. That goes for some conference goers also. It's amazing what a smile or few words will do to perk someone up. I met some fascinating people. 

Kindness as a "way of life." That's a great goal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment