Sunday, March 17, 2013

Uncle Dick - Happy Birthday


Richard Henry Holton

March 17, 1926 - October 23, 2005
about 1936

Richard was the middle of the three Holton boys, 
Bill (my father), Richard & David) - 
children of Caryl and Celia Cathcart Holton

about 1939

Bill & Dick Holton
September 2001 in London

This article in the online UC Berkeley News gives an overview of his career. 
Read more about Uncle Dick in this blog post

**********************
Some Memories of Uncle Dick

When I was young (probably in elementary school), I went on a road trip with Grandpa and Grandma to visit Dick and Connie in Boston. This must have been when Uncle Dick was doing his PhD at Harvard. Some memories of that trip - Grandpa and Grandma kept telling me to look out the window and see the scenery (I must have had my nose in a book). We stopped in antique shops so Grandma could look for a certain kind of glassware she collected. There was something about the George Washington Bridge in New York City. Were we lost and did we go over it several times? This was in the day before freeways. My Boston memories - riding in the swan boats in Boston Public Garden and the cemeteries. I was fascinated by the cemeteries - so old, so full of people and stories - a hint of my yet-to-blossom interest in family history. 

We have pictures of our family vacationing at a lake with Dick, Connie, and the girls back in the early 1950s.

When I was living in Hamburg, Germany in 1962 with Uncle David and Aunt Dorothy, I took the train to Naples, Italy (I think it was Naples) to visit Dick, Connie, and the children. One of the places we toured was Pompeii. I was fascinated with the ruins. 

In 1974 or 75 Michael and I flew to California. Michael stayed with Dick and Connie in their Inverness cottage while I attended a conference. After my conference Michael and I stayed with Dick and Connie in Berkeley. One day Michael and I took the BART train into San Francisco and walked all over town.

Over the years I enjoyed a number of visits to Dick's and Connie's in Berkeley. On a clear day you could see the Golden Gate Bridge from their balcony.  

Uncle Dick did not come to London very often. It was always a special occasion when he did. Of the three Holton "boys" he looks the most like Grandpa. Uncle Dick was kind, gentle, and down to earth.







No comments:

Post a Comment