Wednesday, September 5, 2012

It's Miami University Folks!


THE Ohio State University recently trounced Miami University in their opening game. I winced not so much at the final score but at the frequent use of the incorrect name for the university. Sportscasters have turned the name of the university in Oxford, Ohio into "Miami of Ohio." The name of the place is Miami University. I don't have many pet peeves but "Miami of Ohio" is one of them. Family know they can always get my attention by using the wrong name of the university.

Miami is a wonderful university. It's known for its academics. It's also known as the "cradle of coaches." Couldn't the sportscasters show some respect for the school, or at least the coaches, by using the correct name of the university?

We have a number of Miami graduates in the family - my father's brother Richard, my brother Tom, my sister Susan. I graduated from Miami in 1967.

Now that Paul Ryan, also a Miami graduate, is in the national spotlight, I wonder if the reporters will learn and use the correct name of the school. Time will tell.

The university has to deal with this identity challenge.  Click here to see a memo that shows how Miami is addressing the issue.

Click here to read the feelings of a fellow graduate of Miami University.


PS - When I googled "Miami University," the real Miami University came up. With one exception, that university in Florida didn't show up until many, many pages into the search results. I'm glad Google's formula is correctly written.

PPS - Joe said I had to include the final score - OSU 56 Miami 10




No comments:

Post a Comment