Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sacrament


In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we take the sacrament, or communion, every Sunday. This is the most sacred part of the week and of the worship service. 

"On the night before His Crucifixion, Jesus Christ met with His Apostles and instituted the sacrament (see Luke 22:19–20). After His Resurrection, He instituted the sacrament among the Nephites (see 3 Nephi 18:1–11). Today the sacrament is an ordinance in which Church members partake of bread and water in remembrance of Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice. This ordinance is an essential part of worship and spiritual development. Through this ordinance, Church members renew the covenants they made with God when they were baptized." (lds.org)

I am thankful for this weekly pause and the opportunity to renew the covenants I have made with Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. When I chew the bread, I think of the effort involved in being a disciple of Jesus Christ. When I drink the water and feel it going through my body, I think of the Spirit filling my being and my soul radiating the love of Christ. 

When members aren't able to get to church due to illness or other reasons, they can request that the sacrament be brought to their homes. Once or twice a month that's been happening in our home when Joe isn't able to go to church. 

When the sacrament prayers are read and the bread and water are offered to Joe, our home totally fills with the Spirit. 
*****************

Click here for more about the sacrament

nesting tables from my grandparents' home



No comments:

Post a Comment