Monday, October 17, 2016

Prayer

"Prayer is a gift from God. We need never feel lost or alone. I testify that every moment of precious prayer can be holy time spent with our Father, in the name of the Son, by the power of the Holy Ghost." (Carol McConkie)
***********

Juan Uceda has some thought-provoking questions about prayer. 
Do I pray with my lips or my heart?
Do I connect with God or am I just saying prayers?
When I pray do I really want God's will, not my will? (Lord's Prayer)
Do I pray and ask God's input for important decisions?
Do I prepare myself for prayer?

"...a moment of prayer is a very, very sacred moment." Juan Uceda
***********

"As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are His children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). ... Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings.  Bible Dictionary
***********

"Heartfelt prayer comes from the depths of the soul. Our mind and heart are directed toward God with full and complete attention. When we pray from the heart, we are not just saying words or “going through the motions”; we are seeking to draw nearer to our Father in Heaven, to commune with Him in a personal and intimate manner. Heartfelt prayer is the furthest thing from a memorized recitation. We do not simply talk at God; rather, we talk with Him. This does not imply a face-to-face conversation as Moses experienced, but it does suggest communing with God by listening to the still, small voice of the Spirit. It means allowing time both during a prayer and after a prayer to hear spiritual promptings." Bruce Porter  
***********
Sacred moment with God. Commune with God. Isn't it awesome that this is even possible!

Prayer - a gift from God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment