Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Singing Grace

One of my vivid memories of holiday family dinners is singing grace (image November 1953)

Father we thank thee for the food we eat.
We thank thee for fellowship sweet.
We thank thee for memories here that cling. 
We thank thee Lord for everything. 
Amen. 

For years I thought we were singing “We thank thee for memories here that clean” and I couldn’t figure out how memories cleaned!

I asked Dad about the origin of the singing grace. He said his mother Celia probably learned it when she taught at Pine Mountain Settlement School in Kentucky. I found a reference to singing grace at Pine Mountain here

After Dad's death, we occasionally sing this at family gatherings. It brings tears to our eyes and people from the other side are very close. 

Precious, precious memory


1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten the origin, for our family, of the singing grace. It was such a joy to hear your voice, singing our grace, at the end of the day on Thanksgiving. It was a perfect ending to a remarkable day. While I have deleted many posts on my phone, I am saving that one.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete