Sunday, December 28, 2014

Mom's Advent Calendar

When I decorated our Christmas tree this year, I realized the felt, hand stitched pieces from Mom's Advent calendar were the perfect size for our tree. I felt very close to Mom and Dad as I hung the figures. I put the camel and owl next to each other. Dad's symbol was the owl and Mom "adopted" the camel as her animal. 
I think she made an Advent calendar for each of her four children. I don't know if we all received them the same year. Here's a grandson with his in 1979. Below you can see our calendar in 1982. 
When I look at the tiny, hand stitched felt pieces, I think about the time, love, and effort Mom put into this gift. Her hands didn't work well so the sewing must not have been easy for her. Each piece has multiple parts, sequins, and/or other decorations - as well as a tiny looped hanger. These were not easy to create - and each calendar had 24* pieces plus the larger tree to stitch.  As a grandmother I understand the desire to give something meaningful and a gift that reflects my love. I feel Mom's love for her children and grandchildren when I look at these Advent pieces. 
Mom - Christmas 1982

*************
You football fans might notice that our tree is decorated with green and blue beads which just happen to be the colors for the Seattle Seahawks. Could be we did that for a grandson who is a MAJOR fan - or it could be that those are the colors we had and we realized they were Seahawks colors only after the tree was decorated. Which do you think it is?

* corrected January 21, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment