Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Mom and Dad - They Made a Difference

Through their community service and open door/open table policy Mom and Dad met, served, and listened to many people throughout their lives in London. Years after their deaths we still hear about Mom and Dad and the impact they had on others. 

When my sister went to her high school reunion a few months ago, a number of people told her they appreciated how open Mom and Dad were. All were welcomed and listened to at Oak Street. 

At my recent 50th high school reunion, I was reminded of how Mom and Dad helped others. A friend related two stories that I didn't remember at all - one involves Mom and Dad. My friend's mother and my father went to school together in London and were in the same graduating class. After she married my friend and her family were back yard neighbors to my parents.

My friend talked about the time she went with us to Ohio University. Mom and Dad were taking me to see the campus and invited her to go along. She gushed about how much she appreciated being included and that she never would have been able to see the campus if Mom and Dad hadn't taken her. She even remembered that we went in Grandpa's Cadillac. I don't remember anything about this adventure.

She filled in a  memory about another car trip together. She, another friend and I went to Miami University to check out the campus. That would have been Friday, November 22, 1963. The reason I remember the date - I was in an interview with the head of the Paper Technology department when someone burst into the room and exclaimed that President Kennedy had been shot. The only other thing I remember about that trip is listening to the funeral on the radio on the way home. That means we would have been on campus Friday evening, all day Saturday, Sunday, and some of Monday. Did we really stay that long? Or am I remembering radio coverage on the way home and not the funeral? What did we do? Where did we stay? I need to ask her more about that trip. I had forgotten that she was with us. My memory included the other friend, the interview, the assassination, and the ride home. 


My Dad bought this Degas print and framed it for another friend. All these years later, my friend still has the print in her home. 

The stories about Mom and Dad, who they helped, and the difference they made, could go on and on. Mom and Dad, thank you for the legacy of caring and serving - and making a difference in people's lives. 

images of Mom & Dad - about 1950 & December 1982

others October 2014







No comments:

Post a Comment