Saturday, November 15, 2014

Home

My father's childhood home
top - October 2014
bottom - 1957
Decades ago we sat with Dad on the steps of the elementary school. We were all in town for a family reunion and we going to tour the school. Dad's childhood home was across the street. I asked Dad about his feelings when he looked at the house where he spent his entire childhood. I was surprised when he replied that it was "just a house" and he didn't feel any particular attachment to it. I now have a better understanding of his comments. 

I now drive by North Oak Street and see it as just a house (image October 2014). Wonderful memories of my childhood and beyond are connected to that house but it's no longer "home" because none of my loved ones live there any longer. 
Union Street
The house on the right was Mom's & Dad's (and my) first home in London. We moved there after Dad returned from WWII and got out of the military. We lived in the upstairs apartment. At that time there was a balcony across the front of the house. We entered via the door on the left (hidden by the left pillar). 
June 1948 - looking from back toward Union Street. Our house is on the left. That's my mother with Rainbow Reid* and his bulldog Bulldozer. Rainbow lived on the first floor with his wife or was it his sister?
September 1949 - Gram with Susan & Mom with me in front of Union Street home. 
Our entrance was the door on the left.
West North Street, Worthington - home for 34 years
**********
Ohio was "home" for most of my life. First London, then Harvest Street outside of Dublin, and then Worthington. Then we moved across country. Kirkland felt like home pretty quickly but "Washington" hasn't - until this recent trip. On my drive from Ohio up to Michigan I saw license plates from many states. When I sighted a Washington plate, the thought "home" went through my mind and heart. 
home is wherever Joe and I are together



*not sure of spelling
November 25, 2014 image of North Street home added







No comments:

Post a Comment