Monday, April 9, 2012

Grandpa's Pink Cadillac

Grandpa photographs the Holton children in their Easter finery - 1955

The Holtons were practical people and that was reflected in cars and other possessions. The exception was Grandpa's pink Cadillac. I'm pretty sure that's the pink Cadillac in the left of this picture. I could be wrong because I usually didn't pay much attention to cars, especially when I was young. 

I remember the pink Cadillac because Grandpa was VERY excited about it. We didn't see Grandpa excited very often. I also remember it because he said it was "titty pink." That just wasn't a word used in polite company. He explained it was the color of pig tits (like those out at his farms). I was always embarrassed when he talked about the color of his car. 

I looked up paint colors for 1954 and 1955 Cadillacs. Several websites said Cadillac didn't offer a pink car until 1955. The color was called Pacific Coral; it looks more orange than pink. This was definitely a PINK car.  1954 Cadillac paint chips    1955 Cadillac paint chips

Interestingly, I found references to Elvis Presley and his pink Cadillacs. This picture here is the color I remember. A number of websites say Presley had the car painted pink; it wasn't originally pink. Another site says he bought a 1954 pink and white Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 Special Sedan. The Holtons weren't Elvis fans so I can't imagine there was ANY connection between Grandpa, Elvis, and the pink Cadillac. 


No comments:

Post a Comment