Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Overflow From Prayer

Recently I heard the phrase "overflow from prayer." Those words penetrated my mind and heart and caused me to ponder what overflows from my prayers. 

Do my prayers result in action - Serving someone? Making changes in my behavior so I can become a better disciple of Christ? Building a better relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ? What happens because I pray? 
***********
Out of curiosity I searched the phrase "overflow in prayer" to see what was out there. I found - 

"We meet God in prayer and overflow from prayer into action." Blessings of St. Benedict

"... insure that contemplative fruits overflow from prayer into social life through the ongoing practice of virtue, the renunciation of self-will, and the practice of generosity, carried to the point of perfection, in regard to the duties of one’s state of life. Such latter perfection will reflect the virtues inherent in the spiritual teaching of the Church, and “the mind of Christ,” rather than the values of the world and worldly success." Andrew Richards
***********
All this leads to contemplation about my prayers. Am I praying with the intent to have some overflow, some action? Is active listening part of my prayers so I will get the messages about whom to serve and what changes to make so I am a better person and disciple of Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment