Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Few Dots Connected


This was one of those slap-on-the-forehead moments. I came across the word “austral” and momentarily stopped to think about its meaning. I recalled it referred to the southern hemisphere. Then some dots connected in my head, totally unconnected with what I was reading,  – I wonder if that’s why Australia is called Australia?! I’d never noticed the word “austral” in the name before!

I was surprised I couldn’t find an official version of the origin of the name on the country’s official website. Perhaps it’s there and I just didn’t discover it.

Click here for an interesting timeline of the use of the word “australis” and its eventual morphing into Australia.
 
Click here for a Wikipedia article on the origin of the names of countries around the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment