Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Book - What Would a ....


What would a holy woman do? This question was posed by Wendy Watson Nelson to a few friends. Each day the women chose one of their normal activities and asked "how would a holy woman" do this task? She writes about their experiences in the book "What Would a Holy Woman Do?"

What would a holy woman do? This could be seen as a cliché much as “What would Jesus do?”

In reality it’s a question I want to ask myself every day. I want to turn it from a catchy phrase to a guideline for my life.

“Holy - Sacred, having a godly character, or spiritually and morally pure. The opposite of holy is common or profane.” (Guide to the Scriptures

How would a holy woman, a woman who is a disciple of Christ, handle the ordinary events of daily life? Running errands and the resulting interactions with people? Handle a conflict? Decide what to do about a lengthy to-do list?  This doesn’t mean that I’m adding more things to do in my life, but I am choosing a Christ-centered approach to the people and events that are already part of my life.

The scriptures abound with counsel on what kind of people we can, and are, to become. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are our examples.

“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5: 48) Perfect, as used when the King James Bible was translated, means complete.

“Be holy, for I am holy” Leviticus 11: 44–45

"Teach my people the difference between the holy and profane” Ezekial 44: 23

“God hath called us with a holy calling” 2 Timothy 1: 8–9

 “I am able to make you holy.” Doctrine and Covenants 60: 7  

"Ye shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness” Doctrine and Covenants 43: 9

"Ye must practice … holiness before me.” Doctrine and Covenants 46: 33 

What would a holy woman do? Any time I’m stumped with an answer to this question I can go to the scriptures and go to God in prayer. They are here to help me in my becoming.

This is a very short book, more of a pamphlet. But it has the potential to change how I go through each day. It all depends upon what I do with the question “What would a holy woman do?”





No comments:

Post a Comment