Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Putting Pieces Together

There are thousands of pieces of paper in the family archives. I know I should to discard some of them. Not everything needs to kept and/or digitized. I was working with a pile of Pepper papers, family of Joe's step-father Ray Pepper. 
 Above - these pieces were thrown away. Below - this newspaper article seemed to be about a random person without a connection to family. I thought it should go to the discard pile too. E.G. Rarey was in charge of the IRS office in Cleveland, Ohio. I couldn't find the article in online newspaper databases so I could date it. 
Then, when going through the Pepper papers, I found the documents below all related to E.G. Rarey and Ray's father, William Otterbein Pepper. After reading the letters, my guess is William and E.G. were in the same Masonic Lodge in Cleveland. E.G. might have been helping William with a business deal that went bad - just my guess. I'm glad I didn't toss that article. 
After some searching, I was able to date the newspaper by looking at the article on the back of newspaper clipping. It was about a meeting between England, Japan, and the United States in Geneva in 1927. 
All the papers related to William Otterbein Pepper
No names are on this picture but I'm 99% certain it's Ray's parents, William Otterbein Pepper and Florence Norcross Pepper. It might be their wedding picture from about 1914.
Ray Emerson Pepper, Mary Elizabeth (Maude, Betty) Neely Todd Pepper & Joe
about 1954




No comments:

Post a Comment