Saturday, April 22, 2017

College Life


Mary Floyd, sorority girl
 both photos - ca 1943 or 1944 - probably at Chi Omega House at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
Mary Floyd
Mom wrote "1944 Chi Omega" on this photo
*********
After Mom's death, Dad shared the following story.
The first girl he seriously dated was Edith VonThiel (sp?), who was also a student at Northwestern. She and Dad were "pinned." Edith went to London in 1941 or 1942 to meet Dad's parents, Celia and Caryl. At some point Edith returned Dad's Theta Xi fraternity pin.

Then Dad met and started dating Mom. Dad told me he was unaware that both Mom and Edith were Chi Omegas. He said that "wasn't too smart of me. I don't know if I was just struggling to stay afloat and that's why I wasn't paying attention." 

Edith told Mom to stay away from Dad because of his close relationship with his mother. Dad smiled as he told me this story and didn't comment any further on it. Over the years, Mom had told us about the warning. Mom obviously didn't heed the Edith's counsel. The rest is history!
*************



No comments:

Post a Comment