Thursday, April 21, 2016

In Awe

On a morning walk I was so focused on my destination that I almost walked past this tree without noticing it. Believe it or not, this giant redwood tree is squeezed in between two buildings and was easy to miss amidst the hustle and bustle on busy Lake Street. 
I stood in front of it trying to take in its size and its beauty. 
How old is it?
Sometimes I see and feel God in nature. This was one of those times. 
******************

The tree is located at what used to be the edge of Lake Washington. When the Lake Washington Ship Channel was cut in 1916, the lake lowered by about 9 feet to match the level of Lake Union. This created quite a bit of land between Lake Street and the new shoreline. That land became Kirkland parks and building sites for waterfront homes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment