Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Early Mornings Around Town

These last few weeks I've been trying to get back into an early morning exercise routine. We gave away our treadmill when we moved, no room for it here, so I'm heading outside for exercise. There are numerous parks along the lake and wonderful neighborhoods to explore. I've found some long flights of very steep steps that will give my knees and lungs a workout. Here are photos from several early morning walks.

I'm amazed how many flowers are still blooming - at the end of December!
Even roses!

Kirkland is beautifully decorated for Christmas
above - the main downtown intersection. The lake is half a block to the right. 

Our building is on the left - just out of the picture. When people find out where we live, they sing the praises of the French Bakery which is in the middle of this picture. The library is behind me as I take this photo. 

 The city's Christmas tree is in Marina Park which is on Lake Washington

The Cow and Coyote are ready for Christmas. There was a bit of a stir this year when one couple complained that people were vandalizing this work of art by dressing it. They created such a scuffle that meetings were held and guidelines drawn up concerning what could be done to the public art in Kirkland. 

The transit center is next to the library. It's always full of activity early in the morning. 

One morning I walked my route clockwise instead of counterclockwise and discovered this wonderful mural on the wall of the Eagles Club building. I'd never noticed it before because I hadn't approached the building from this side. See what I've been missing? The mural was painted by local artists. This experience was a good reminder of the importance of varying my route. 


This nondescript and "unsigned" building is not far from us. That's our grocery store in the back to the left. Not long after we moved here we were told that this was headquarters for Microsoft's Halo developers. I'd never heard about this game, but was told it is a big deal. There are no signs on the building; just the labeled parking spots indicate Microsoft has something to do with what's going on here. We've been around long enough that we can often spot the Halo workers when they are out and about for lunch. Interesting how they have a certain look about them :) One morning I noticed moving trucks at the building. That confirmed reports that the team is being moved back to Microsoft offices in Redmond. This whole area is undergoing major redevelopment. 


Sometimes the early morning light illuminates just a part of Seattle
The Puddle Jumper children appear to be literally jumping into a puddle
This beloved artwork almost didn't get to stay in Kirkland. Read more here
 I love this statue. These children exhibit the joy and enthusiasm we feel for this wonderful community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment