Friday, November 22, 2013

Country Music Message

Country music can tell some very interesting stories. For long stretches of our trips to Salt Lake City or Montana there isn't much to choose from on the radio. If we've run out of sparkling conversation (Mom's term), we fall back on country music. On our recent trip to Salt Lake City I was only half listening to the song on the radio. I heard words about there having to be more to life than ending up riding in a hearse. I just had to look up the lyrics. I found the song called "Believe" by Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn.

Believe

Old man Wrigley lived in that white house
Down the street where i grew up
Momma used to send me over with things
We struck a friendship up
I spent a few long summers out on his old porch swing

Says he was in the war when in the navy
Lost his wife, lost his baby
Broke down and asked him one time
How ya keep from going crazy
He said I'll see my wife and son in just a little while
I asked him what he meant
He looked at me and smiled, said

[Chorus]
I raise my hands, bow my head
I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red
They tell me that there's more to life than just what I can see
Oh I believe
.............
[Wrigley died]
.............

I can't quote the book
The chapter or the verse
You can't tell me it all ends
In a slow ride in a hearse
You know I'm more and more convinced
The longer that I live
Yeah, this can't be
No, this can't be
No, this can't be all there is

[Chorus]
When I raise my hands, bow my head
I'm finding more and more truth in the words written in red
They tell me that there's more to life than just what I can see
I believe
Oh, I
I believe
........

Click here for all the lyrics and here for a YouTube video

I do believe. 
Life doesn't end with a "slow ride in a hearse."
There is more to life than what we can see. 


For a post about another country song heard on a trip, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment