Friday, January 28, 2022

Kirkland's Mandarin Duck

  

I'd heard about Kirkland's Mandarin duck but I'd never spotted it until this week. I was walking through Marina Park when I felt a nudge, a reminder about the duck and a suggestion that I walk closer to the shoreline. So I did - and there he was! The duck mingled with the Mallards and didn't seem concerned about the people. He swam and walked along the shoreline as we took pictures and talked with each other about his beauty.
This article says the duck is native to Japan, southeast Russia, and eastern China. It's closely related to the North American wood duck. Mandarin ducks are exported to the States and sometimes escape captivity. These pictures were taken at dusk. Imagine how much more vivid the colors would be with more light. 

Read more here about one person's quest to see the duck, along with stunning pictures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment