Friday, November 20, 2020

Joe in a Clown Suit & His Dog

 

This picture was taken in 1938. I was 4 years old. My Mother must have loved this clown suit since she took many, many pictures of me in it. Maybe she knew something that I was only to find out later. I hope this is a Halloween picture! 

The dog’s (my second) name is Gyp. He is a Springer Spaniel – a very family oriented hunting dog. My first dog was a Rat Terrier that jumped all over me – he got run over by a car. 

 

I really liked Gyp – probably because he would let me pet him and didn’t jump all over me. Shortly after this picture was taken, he disappeared. I was taking a nap in the afternoon. When I woke up Miss Ging (my nanny or if you prefer nurse maid) told me some men came into the backyard and took him away. In later years I got the idea that my father was persuaded by someone in his office to sell him since we did no hunting. 


The black box in the background held the photographic plates used in Speed Graphic cameras used by my father in his advertising work. I am not sure where this picture was taken, but I remember very well the black box and squatting down by Gyp. 

 

A four year old kid’s view of the world is somewhat limited to remembering images not context. I am very fortunate to be able to remember my childhood fairly well.

 Written by Joe, February 2006


 

No comments:

Post a Comment