Thursday, January 4, 2018

Intertwined Souls

Relationships, especially family ones, can be very complex. Isn't it wonderful when we have experiences that remind us that our souls are intertwined and that love and the atonement of Christ can turn those complexities into beauty. 

I like the way Saydi Shumway describes an interchange with her 11 year old daughter. 

Today Hazel was the DJ in the car on the way to school.  She chose “Fight Song” (isn’t that the greatest song?) and I started telling her about how I got to swim in the ocean while listening to that song this summer.  I only had to say a few words about that experience of fighting the waves with that music blaring in my ears and she flashed me a look of total understanding.  An “I get how cool that was for you mom” look. 

A look that suddenly, in a flash, reminded me that she is of my blood, my flesh and bone.  That, despite all the kerfuffles we have had during these eleven years, despite the yelling matches, the misunderstandings, the mom in training mistakes, she and I are born of the same stuff and sealed together.  

Our souls are intertwined in a beautiful mess of mistakes and forgiveness, of trial and error and victory that is the very essence of life and growth and joy.   ... We get each other, our hearts are synched, and beneath the rough patches on this unchartered road there is a solid foundation of love and synchronicity and atonement that will make our any ashes beautiful.


************ 
We are a "beautiful mess of mistakes and forgiveness, of trial and error and victory." Our hearts are synched. We have a strong foundation. What a beautiful feeling. What a gift. What a blessing. 

Full post here

No comments:

Post a Comment