Friday, September 29, 2017

Book - Poldark Series

I just finished "Bella Poldark," the 12th and last book in Winston Graham's Poldark series. I'm sad to see the series end.

from the publisher - "The bestselling Poldark series is loved across the world for its compulsive blend of romance, drama, unforgettable characters and beautifully evocative portrayal of Cornwall.


The saga, which spans the late Eighteenth and early Nineteenth centuries, follows the life of the brooding, principled Ross Poldark; a young man who returns from the American Revolutionary war to find his father dead, his copper mine failing and his childhood sweetheart, the beautiful Elizabeth Chynoweth, engaged to his cousin. Romance, intrigue, betrayal, and one of the most heart-breaking love triangles in modern fiction ensue as Ross falls in love with the charming Demelza, and tries to build a better world for her and their children whilst fighting his arch-enemy, the swaggering and ruthless financier, George Warleggan." Pan Maccmillan

************
JHT's comments - I never found "aha," notable, quotable phrases in Graham’s books. What I did find were wonderful passages about people and places. He has a way of conveying the contentment we sometimes feel not necessarily because there aren’t any problems in our lives but because we are with the people we love in a place we love. There is also a sense that life goes on no matter the ups and downs of our lives.

I enjoyed the history of the time and place. Until I read these books I didn’t realize how much fighting was happening between European nations during this time period.

Due to space considerations I borrow more books than I buy these days. This is a series I will purchase and read again and again.

The land of Cornwall almost becomes a character in these books. Graham conveyed his love of Cornwall in the beautifully illustrated book titled "Poldark's Cornwall." It's worth checking this out if you read any of the Poldark books. 

Click here for an overview of all 12 books. 

PBS is now airing Season 3 of Poldark. You can watch the first two seasons on Amazon Prime. I've enjoyed the TV series but I like the books better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment