Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Trading Cardinals for Seagulls



I truly miss cardinals. These beautiful birds don't live in this part of the world. Whenever I've traveled back to Ohio, I'm thrilled when a cardinal makes an appearance for me.      cardinal                                 









It took a long time to get used to hearing and seeing seagulls every day. Interestingly, we see and hear fewer of them at our new place than we did a few blocks further east. You'd think it would be the other way around because we're closer to the lake than we used to be.   seagull







 Crows, ravens, blackbirds - They've never been on my list of favorite birds. They seem ominous to me. There were plenty of them in Ohio. There's no shortage of them out here.   Crows, ravens, blackbirds - read more here            crow 






After we moved here I kept seeing a bird that looked like a cross between a crow and a blue jay. Most of the ones I saw were very black with a touch of blue. The triangular crest made it clear these weren't like the various black birds in Ohio. When I asked someone what they were, she called them "sky rats." Evidently they're a nuisance bird. Later I found out they are Steller's Jays.  Read more here     Steller's Jay





images from pixabay




No comments:

Post a Comment