Thursday, September 25, 2014

Children & Holes

In the picture - Caryl & Celia Holton's "boys" and their wives at Christmas 1959. Grandpa always referred to them as "my boys." I count them as Florence's boys too since she was the one who was there for them after Celia's death. Dorothy is pregnant with Ruth and John. I wonder if she knew she was going to have twins four months later? This was before routine ultrasounds. 

We had many good times around this table in the breakfast nook at Grandpa and Grandma's at First Street in London. Grandpa's snacks of milk and crackers come to mind as do warm potato chips that Grandma served when we went there for lunch on a school day. That seemed like a treat to us. Only later did we realize they were warm because Grandma put them in the oven to remove some of the staleness in old, perhaps soggy chips. :)
In this picture I also see the bright blue vinyl covered seat that wraps around the corner. Not long after Grandma had the bench recovered in the bright blue vinyl, I was sitting there with Mom, Grandma, and I don't know who else. I was very young. None of the adults noticed that I had a sharp pencil and was quietly poking holes in the brand new seat - perhaps 6 or 8 holes! Decades later, after Grandpa died, and Grandma sold the house to move into an apartment, the holes were still there. That covering was very sturdy. 

Again, like the tulips story related back here, I don't recall Grandma getting upset with me. I remember the happening only because Mom love to tell the story. Thank you Grandma for your kindness and gentleness. 

We know the family who bought the First Street house. They were very kind about letting us take cousins through the house when they visited. The blue bench - with holes - was still there. 

As I recount this story, some instances with our children come to my mind. I wish I had reacted more like Grandma. Children, I'm sorry when I didn't. I have improved with maturity and experience. 

This brings to mind Marjorie Pay Hinckley's counsel about tense situations - "Always save the relationship." Grandma did that. 

Julia 1950
Caryl & Florence Holton ca 1960



No comments:

Post a Comment