Monday, January 9, 2012

I Will Go And Do

  “… I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” 1Nephi 3:7*

 I need to go and do even when I’m not sure exactly how to do what’s been requested (or commanded in some instances). I need to step forward in faith. The Lord will prepare a way. I can take great comfort in that knowledge.

Sometimes we are asked to do “hard” things. We find counsel and examples  of different reactions to the Lord's counsel in the scriptures. Not everyone chooses to "go and do."

Some of Jesus’ disciples were “murmuring” about what he was asking them to do. They said “This is an hard saying; who can hear it? …. many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.” John 6:60, 66

On the other hand we have many examples of people who responded positively, sometimes quickly and eagerly.

“Now it came to pass that after Alma had received his message from the angel of the Lord he returned speedily ....” Alma 8:18 

After seeing Jesus, the wise men, “… being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.”

Philip was on a journey preaching the “word of the Lord,” when an angel of the Lord told him what direction to travel. Philip “arose and went” and saw the Ethiopian eunuch who was studying Isaiah. The Spirit told Philip to speak with the man. Philip “ran thither” and asked if the man understood what he was reading. Acts 8: 26-30

Do I go and do? Even the hard things? When I set out, do I go with murmuring or with speed? Do I go with doubt or with faith?

Do I believe the Lord when He says He will prepare the way for me and will be with me as I go and do what He has commanded?



No comments:

Post a Comment