Monday, December 26, 2011

The Stockings Are Hung


This Christmas stocking has been hung by my chimney for almost 60 years. I think my mother told me they were knit by a friend of her mother, Mildred Floyd. I wonder if I'm remembering that correctly. Perhaps our grandmother, Mildred Floyd, knit them herself. She was a very good knitter. Four stockings were made, one for each Holton child. The child's name and birth year are on each stocking. 

December 1953 - This is the earliest picture I can find that shows the stockings. The Holton family was in Arlington Heights, Illinois spending Christmas with grandparents Harry and Mildred Floyd. Julia, Jan & Tom enjoy Christmas gifts. 

December 1956 - Christmas morning at the Holton house. Julia's stocking hangs from the fireplace screen. Julia, Mary, Susan & Tom are pictured. Jan's head is barely visible. The dollhouse on the right was made by Bill Holton. Mary & Florence Holton decorated it. The dollhouse is now being enjoyed by the grandchildren of the children in this picture. 

Stockings are hung by the chimney in Kirkland, Washington.
Mary Holton knit the stocking for Joe.







No comments:

Post a Comment