Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Memories of Toasted Rolls - With Ice Cream

A sweet roll in the grocery store caused my mind to flash back to Miami University and a unique treat – sweet roll with icing, toasted in butter, served with vanilla ice cream, and sprinkled with powdered sugar. You could buy it in the “Res” which was the snack bar at student union. I didn’t spend much time there because money was very tight and I rarely splurged for a treat like a toasted roll with vanilla ice cream. I must have had it at least once and it left quite an impression on me.

I searched the Internet because you can find everything on the Internet can’t you? I was surprised there were very few references to the Res and only one to toasted rolls with ice cream. Based on the articles I read, I think the toasted rolls originated with Tuffy's, an Oxford, Ohio gathering spot and eatery since 1929. I think my uncle worked at Tuffy’s when he attended Miami. I don’t think I ever went to Tuffy’s.

Back to that sweet roll in the grocery - I bought the sweet roll, took it home, pan toasted it in butter and had it warm with vanilla ice cream. It was a sweet memory. The current reality – the concoction was so sweet it made my teeth hurt. :)


*****************
Click here for information on the Res 
Recipe for rolls and picture here
picture - me in my freshman dorm room at Miami in 1964 or 1965


No comments:

Post a Comment