Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Beautiful Countenance

I knew the man was deaf-blind because I saw someone signing into his hand. I quickly put the labels aside as I noticed the peace and light radiating from this man's very being. 

I thought of something I'd read about getting beyond categories so we can see the beauty of souls - independent of the labels put on the bodies housing those souls. 

"... meeting him and experiencing his uniqueness without thinking he’s blind, he’s paralyzed, he’s deaf, ... our minds are littered with these classifications that block us from seeing the beauty of individual souls housed in particular bodies.” Emily Rapp

Later the man spoke to our group through an interpreter. You didn't have to hear to the words to feel the light and love of his message. This man literally lit up the room. It felt good to be in his presence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment