Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Puzzles

When a granddaughter came over in February I was delighted to discover that she likes to work puzzles. Before we moved, we had quite a few puzzles. We gave away all but three - a picture of a mass of marbles; a puzzle of a pile of Lifesavers; and a collection of campaign buttons. Our granddaughter chose the 500+ piece circular puzzle of campaign buttons. 
I like the casual conversation that takes place when working a puzzle together. I like the comfortable silences too as people concentrate on finding the right piece. I like the feeling of accomplishment as things come together and then the last pieces are snapped into place. 

Puzzles were part of our childhood. Mom liked puzzles and we usually had one out at Christmas. I don't recall Dad working puzzles but Mom definitely did. I think I remember puzzles at our grandparents' house in Arlington Heights, Illinois. 

I remember a puzzle my Mom's parents gave us - probably at Christmas. It was a picture of a train - a big black locomotive with a huge puff of steam coming out the smokestack. I think it's interesting I would remember a specific puzzle. I remember where it was stored on the shelf over the bed/couch in the basement at Oak Street. 

When John and I lived on Oxley Road on the West Side of Columbus, I often kept a puzzle on the card table in the third bedroom. Then Michael started walking and grew tall enough to reach the card table and "help" with the puzzle. Puzzles were part of life at Harvest Street and then North Street. 

Puzzles are a fun family activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment