Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Music & Messages

During my February trip to Salt Lake City for RootsTech, I went to the Tabernacle for the Sunday morning broadcast of  Music and the Spoken Word. Both the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square were performing. 

I watched the program from the balcony. Lloyd Newell, the narrator, was “stationed” not far from where I was sitting. 
Watching from the balcony gives a different perspective on all that's going on. You can see many of the technical aspects of filming the program for broadcast. 

The message, "It Was the Little Things," was very touching. I blogged about it here. Love is what we do - "little by little, every day, year after year. This is the kind of love that never fails." source

The hymn that touched me the most this time in the Tabernacle was “In the Garden” by C. Austin Miles. 

I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses;
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing;
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing. 

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

......
by C. Austin Miles
Baptist Hymnal, 1991

This hymn brings memories of the scriptures about walking with God and Yolise's comment on our mission in The Bahamas. I was teaching a children's class and asked what it meant to choose the right. She said it means you get to “keep company with God.” What a wonderful image - keeping company with God and joy from walking and talking with God in a beautiful garden.

I think music will be a big part of life on the other side. Somewhere, sometime on the other side we will hear, and probably help make, glorious music. The grand amen at the end of the hymn will be even more awesome than the grand amen I heard in the Tabernacle this Sunday - it just hung in the air - full of joy, hope, and promise!





No comments:

Post a Comment