Saturday, February 9, 2013

Behold!


BEHOLD!!!

Lately this word has been in my mind and heart. Recently I went to Parkplace Books (a marvelous independent bookstore not far from us. Their website wasn't current when I wrote this post.) 

As I walked past the Jessica, Jake and Annie sculpture, I could almost hear little Jake exclaim, "Behold!" to his mother and sister. This is one of my favorite sculptures in Kirkland; that day it took on extra meaning. 



Behold! To me "behold" means - look and see, observe, pay attention 
- don't pass something or someone by without noticing

As in all things, Christ is our example. Christ paid attention. He noticed individuals and ministered to their needs. He noticed nature and animals so well that he used them in his teaching. In the scriptures we are often counseled to "behold."

"Jesus said “behold your little ones” (3 Ne. 17:23). Notice that He didn’t say “glance at them” or “casually observe them” or “occasionally take a look in their general direction.” He said to behold them. To me that means that we should embrace them with our eyes and with our hearts; we should see and appreciate them for who they really are: spirit children of our Heavenly Father, with divine attributes." Russell Ballard

At this point in my life, I have more behind me than in front of me (counting life on earth). My life is filled with abundance. I don't want to take any of it for granted. I like the idea of "embracing" people, events, and things around us with "our eyes and our hearts," seeing and appreciating them. 

Shawni Pothier blogs at 71toes.com. She has many inspiring posts about deliberate mothering. She is realistic, inspiring, and enthusiastic about life as a woman, sister, daughter, mother, wife, and daughter of God. Each year she chooses a word that will help her focus on something she feels she needs to work on. Read more about that here

My "word" for 2013 is "Behold!" I want to embrace, be more aware of, and really see all that's around me. Little Jake will be my reminder. 




No comments:

Post a Comment