Thursday, January 31, 2013

Importance of Pondering


".... I sat in my room pondering over the scriptures; And reflecting upon the great atoning sacrifice that was made by the Son of God, for the redemption of the world; And the great and wonderful love made manifest by the Father and the Son in the coming of the Redeemer into the world; That through his atonement, and by obedience to the principles of the gospel, mankind might be saved.

While I was thus engaged, my mind reverted to the writings of the apostle Peter, to the primitive saints scattered abroad throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, and other parts of Asia, where the gospel had been preached after the crucifixion of the Lord.

I opened the Bible and read the third and fourth chapters of the first epistle of Peter, and as I read I was greatly impressed, more than I had ever been before, with the following passages: .... 

As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me, and I saw ...."

This scripture gives us a great pattern for receiving insights from the Spirit. Pondering and reflecting on spiritual matters - then our minds go back to specific scriptures - then we read the scriptures brought to our minds. When we follow this pattern, we often receive insights that are new and/or deeper than what we've seen or understood previously. We are receptive. The Spirit teaches. 

*******************


No comments:

Post a Comment