Thursday, January 24, 2013

Extravagances?



We've been fighting off colds and other bugs in our house. I splurged and purchased the really good orange juice - "not from concentrate." A North Street neighbor introduced us to this years ago. She liked to put a bit of sugar in it to make it sweeter. I was raised in a very frugal family and continue that cost consciousness throughout my adult life. I saw this kind of orange juice as an "extravagance," something an "old" person might be able to afford but we couldn't. 

This got me to thinking about other such "extravagances" I associate with "old people."  In their later years Mom and Dad often had cored, fresh pineapple. It was always delicious but we didn't buy it because we thought it was too expensive. 

When my grandparents came to London for visits, they sometimes brought pints of Baskin-Robbins ice cream. Now that was the ultimate in extravagance! Who could afford Baskin-Robbins - and who in the world ever bought pints of ice cream? A family of six didn't deal in pints of ice cream.  Now that I'm an "old" person, I know the happiness of having a pint of REALLY GOOD ice cream in the freezer for snacking. I have yet to find anything that tastes as good as Graeter's chocolate chocolate chip - although Sirena's gelato has become a nice substitute. 

Now that many would consider me one of those old people, I have a different perspective on these indulgences. We don't have as many people to feed and therefore don't spend as much on food as we used to. Life teaches us that some things are worth the extra cost because they taste good - and we're worth it!






No comments:

Post a Comment