Friday, October 11, 2013

Love and Counsel

 Over the years I've learned to love the scriptures, the word of God. The more I read and study, the more I find and feel the love of God as well as the counsel from God - and understanding comes line upon line.

I am often amazed at how much counsel and wisdom can be compressed into a few verses. This is how I felt when I recently came across these verses in Romans 5: 1-5.

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us."

Thoughts I had while thinking about these verses - 
Faith helps "justify" or make things right between God and ourselves. "Peace with God," what a nice feeling that is. Christ plays an essential role in our relationship with God. How wonderful it is to have "access" to the grace of God through faith and Jesus Christ. Rejoicing in hope of the glory of God - I like that phrase. 

I'm not sure about "glorying" in tribulations but I do agree that tribulation "worketh patience." I have experienced that many, many times and have observed it in the lives of others. 

I like the way we're reminded that one thing leads to another. Here we're shown how patience, experience, and hope work together. I like the image of the Holy Ghost taking the love of God that's in my heart and sharing it with others. 

That's what these verses said to me this day. That's what the Holy Ghost taught me as I read them this time. We can often feel God's love and counsel as we feast on the scriptures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment