Tuesday, August 6, 2013

More Than Clay Pots

These are more than dirty, old, somewhat primitive pots with efflorescence (I had to look up the word for that white crusty stuff). Back in the mid1970s I was teaching at Medina Junior High School in Columbus, Ohio. John had decided he no longer wanted to be married. My world was falling apart. 

I sewed but had never done many craft type projects. I felt a huge need to create something since the family I thought we were creating was disintegrating. Somehow I teamed up with the art teacher at the school. I can't remember her name but I vividly remember what she looks like. I don't recall if some of my students made pots in her class and I asked if I could make some or if I just approached her with the idea. Anyway, with her help, I created these two pots from slabs of clay - nothing very difficult or fancy. She fired them in the kiln and I took them home. I used them at Harvest Street and later at North Street. 

When it came time to move across the country, I gave away all my flower pots - except these two. They symbolize what we have created in the decades since those sad times. 

Maybe I'll soak the pots and scrub off that efflorescence to make them as bright as our lives are now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment