Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Way It Was


In our recent travels I was reminded how much connectivity has changed in the last 20 years or so. When I first started traveling with a computer, I always carried a screwdriver so I could connect my computer to the Internet from a hotel room. In the old, old days, you had to unscrew the plate over the line jack so you could connect your computer to the phone line. The phone line was often located behind a bed, dresser, or desk. 

The next step was to figure out how to configure the phone number so you could get outside of the hotel's phone system. You usually needed a string of 9s or 1s or other numbers to access an outside line. And then there were the hotel phone charges! If I was lucky, I could figure out how to use an 800# and avoid the higher charges. 

How things have changed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment