Saturday, July 13, 2013

Learning - Wide, Broad, Deep & Lifelong

The following scriptures show the depth and breadth of what the Lord wants us to study, and learn – and why lifelong learning is important to us and to the Lord.


Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich. Doctrine and Covenants  6:7



Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my  word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men.  But now hold your peace; study my word which hath gone forth among the children of men, and also study my word which shall come forth among the children of men, … until you have obtained all which I shall grant unto the children of men in this generation, and then shall all things be added thereto. Doctrine and Covenants  11:21–22

Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me. Doctrine and Covenants  19:23

And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom. Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you. Doctrine and Covenants  88:77–80, 118

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. Doctrine and Covenants  88: 118

... study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues, and people. Doctrine and Covenants 90: 15



The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth. Light and truth forsake that evil one. And, verily I say unto you, that it is my will that you … obtain a knowledge of history, and of countries, and of kingdoms, of laws of God and man, and all this for the salvation of Zion. Doctrine and Covenants 93:36–37, 53


from Doctrine and Covenants and Church History





No comments:

Post a Comment