Friday, June 28, 2013

Clues & Offerings



Mom and Dad were not huggers and "I love you"ers. I think it was their personalities and their generation. With age, wisdom, and perspective, I am more aware of the "clues" and "offerings" they gave us to let us know how much they loved us. 

This poem reminded me of Mom and Dad and the importance of recognizing those offerings - such as the pine cone garland that Mom made and the bellows that Dad crafted. (picture above)

Offerings

The way he leaves a banana-mayo sandwich
on the counter. ...
The scratchy blue-and-green-car sheets
left folded on the hide-a-bed.

During your visit,
...
There will be no hugs, no
I love you’s when you leave.
You’ll have to scavenge for clues:
...
The way he hoses pollen from your car
before your 12-hour trip.
The way he proffers a firm handshake,
a packet of sandwiches,
a sack of bruised Red Delicious.
Dayna Patterson

I wish I'd been more in tune with Mom and Dad and their way of showing love so that I could have recognized, acknowledged and felt it more while they were here. 


*****
note: Due to copyright, I don't post the whole poem


No comments:

Post a Comment